The Boqueria Market is the first of the Barcelona's market network to be build with this kind of structure. Over the years, La Boqueria has become the most emblematic market in Barcelona.
The Boqueria Market, as it is known today, has been through many phases of life. Where this market comes from is uncertain, what we are sure of is that it was born as a travelling market, placed in the Ramblas of Barcelona. La Rambla acquired growing importance as a pedestrian lane, and the market was set in the best place to attract the large numbers of passers-by and local inhabitants.
But the spaces inside the city at that time were too small to establish a big market of the current Boqueria kind and it was necessary to set it outside the walls.
As the market's popularity grew, the competition between the old greengrocers and the new ones within the market grew increasingly fierce. The decision was made to split the market between two nearby squares behind the Palau de la Vireina.
But, when the destrctions of the convent of Sant Josep and the convent of the Carmelitas took place in 1835 and 1836, the Boqueria Market finally got a place to be for good. It was replaced by a square very much alike the Plaza Real which explains the presence of the porches and the high columns that circle the actual market.
On St. Joseph's day in 1840 the first stone of the market of la Boqueria was placed and the work kept going on till 1914 when the modernist metal roof was inaugurated. The display of the Boqueria Market has been studied so the fishes and butchers' shop would not be on the front side. This was an old will of the King Carlos IV who found it disgusting and the tradition still applies.